Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Update

Alright, I have a minute to actually write about what's going on, and not just post picture after picture. That's so much easier than thinking of something interesting to say!

Host mom is quirkily adorable. She insists on remaking my bed even if I already did, to military tightness- the second I leave the room, probably. Every night, she'll grab the big fluffy cat (a bizarro version of Josh's cat at home), slinging it over one shoulder, and wander off cooing singsong nonsense at it. When it's cold, she tugs her shawl around her and sings "Frío, frío, frío, fríoo!" or while offering a tea or coffee to you (which is always a little coffee or a little tea, apparently) she will sing "Tecito! Cafecito, cafeceeeeeetooooow". I thought this was unique to her, but after mentioning it to my classmates I found that it's just what older ladies around here seem to do! Another conversation we had to compare notes on was "so, do your jeans magically get ironed?" which someone else asked me. Thankfully, no, my host fam isn't quite that zealous. I have a feeling I would just wear them all the time to avoid that situation.
Papá is a retired veterinarian and he sure has a lot of faith in my language ability. Kind of him, but probably premature. He will talk at length to me while I try not to lose track of what eye contact is; about Chile, about medicine, whatever the subject is. Host mom will stop him mid-rant and say some version of "why are you bothering, she totally can't understand you" and he will say "yes, yes she does!" and smile, and continue. For the record, I catch about 40% if I'm lucky. One day when Mamá was asking me a tough question, Papá put his hand on my shoulder and said "Mira. Mas.... o menos. Mas o menos." He meant that if I am ever unsure of how to respond to a question, I need only to say "more or less." In Chilean, of course, what he really said was "Mah or menoh.", since they don't care much for pronouncing their S's around here. As you can imagine, you have to listen very closely for plurals and other important uses of the letter S.
Apparently the computer lab is closing now, so that's good. I'll have to write more later.

No comments: